It’s day 3 in our series on staying low carb while getting back into your fall routine. If you missed them, check out the previous posts:
Day 1- Let’s Talk Breakfast
Day 2- Quick and Easy Low Carb Snacks.
Yesterday we talked about low carb snacks on the go. Today let’s talk about what else goes in your lunch box: LUNCH. If you can, prepare your lunch the night before so you can just grab and go in the morning. Packing a lunch is a healthier option and the best way to keep it low carb rather than trying to find fast food or even worse, skipping it entirely. Here are some simple and easy ideas for your lunchbox:
- Leftovers. The easiest lunch of all!
- Wrap it in lettuce. Make a sandwich using iceberg lettuce for a “bun” or “wrap.” Use romaine boats for things like chicken salad, egg salad, tuna or even hot dogs. Make a burger the night before and pack it separately from your lettuce bun. Heat up the burger at work and assemble with cheese, condiments, and your lettuce bun. For low carb condiments try our ketchup and chow chow relish.
- Even better than a lettuce wrap is fresh baked low carb bread! Did you know we offer multi grain, rye, pumpernickel, white, and even gluten free fresh baked low carb bread?! Order your favorite bread and enjoy a delicious, hearty, low carb sandwich. LC Foods also offers a variety of fresh baked rolls, buns, and even biscuits.
- Salad is a great portable and low carb lunch. Add meat and cheese or hard-boiled egg to make it more filling.
- Pasta salad without the pasta. Use spiralized veggie noodles like zucchini or carrot to make a delicious low carb pasta salad with other veggies, meat, and cheese.
- If you do need to get fast food or take out, here are some low carb tips:
-Choose the gluten free version, if available, to avoid breading
-Choose a salad but beware of fruit and added carbs in the dressing
-Order it green style if available, or without the bun
-Beware of condiments- they will probably contain added sugar; ketchup and barbecue sauce are higher in carbs, mustard is lower in carbs, creamy dressings tend to be lower carb
What are your low carb lunch ideas? Let us know on our Facebook page!
Check back with us tomorrow for more low carb tips to keep you on track during the fall season!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.