Chocolate Pastry Cream Filling:
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- ½ cup LC White Sugar Sweetener-Inulin
- 2 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 oz LC Sugar Free Large Dark Chocolate Chips
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 3 packs LC Chocolate Cake Mix
- 9 eggs, divided
- 12 tbsp melted unsalted butter, divided
- 4 ½ tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 12 tbsp sour cream, divided
- 3 tbsp room temp water, divided
- 1 ⅓ cup LC Chocolate Frosting Mix
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp + 8 tsp unsalted butter, softened
Chocolate Ganache Topping:
- 4 oz LC Sugar Free Large Dark Chocolate Chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Start by making the chocolate pastry cream as it needs to cool before use. In a large bowl, set up an ice bath by partially filling it with a combination of cold water and ice. Set aside.
- Add the heavy cream, water, and vanilla into a saucepan. Heat the mix over medium heat and bring it to a simmer.
- While the mix is being heated, place the inulin sweetener, egg and yolks, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt in a bowl. Whisk until you have a thick, smooth mix. Set aside.
- As soon as the mix starts to simmer, remove it from the heat. While whisking constantly, slowly pour about one half of the hot mix in a thin stream, into the egg mix. This tempers the egg mix. When the eggs have been tempered, add the egg mix back into the hot mix in the saucepan.
- Heat the custard base, over medium heat, while whisking vigorously until it starts to thicken, about 2 – 5 minutes.
- While whisking, let the custard release some bubbles at a gentle simmer. When the first bubbles break the surface, lower the heat to low and immediately add the SF dark chocolate chips. Whisk until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter. Whisk in the butter until incorporated.
- Pour the custard into a bowl and immediately cover the surface with plastic wrap, so no skin will form.
- Place the bowl into the ice bath for about 30 minutes to chill. Move to the fridge and allow about 2 hours for the custard to cool.
- Now move on to baking the cakes. Preheat the oven to 350F. Do these in three batches as there are three layers to this cake.
- Pour the entire package of Chocolate Cake Mix into a large bowl. Add 3 eggs, 4 tbsp melted butter, 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract, 4 tbsp sour cream, and 1 tbsp room temp water. Mix thoroughly for 1-2 minutes. Repeat 2 more times for other cake layers.
- Grease 3 9” round cake pans and pour each batch of batter in, respectively. Bake at 350F for 23 minutes, or until the top springs back when touched. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Once cakes are cooled, use a serrated blade to remove the top of each cake round to flatten them and make it easier to ice. Set aside.
- Once chocolate pastry cream has chilled long enough, use a spatula to spread it over one of the cake rounds, forming a ¼-⅓ in amount. Repeat with the next cake round and set on top of the first one. Place the last cake round on top of the stack. Set aside.
- Next, make the chocolate frosting by whipping the softened butter with a hand mixer, on low, until creamy. Slowly mix in water, vanilla, and Chocolate Frosting Mix. Immediately ice cake as this frosting will thicken and harden quickly. Set aside.
- Time to make the ganache! Place chocolate chips in a medium heat-proof bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to gently simmer. Do not boil the cream! Now, pour the cream over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes to gently soften the chocolate.
- With a small rubber spatula, very slowly stir until completely combined and chocolate has melted.
- Drizzle over cake and allow ganache to set before serving (1-2 hours). Cut and enjoy!
All LC Foods products have full nutritional detail on their labels and website. Total carb counts for a full recipe will vary and depend on the other ingredients used. Please refer to free apps, such as My Fitness Pal, My Net Diary or Carb Manager, to calculate nutritional information.