Basic Pie Crust
- Category: Dessert, Entree
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, chilled
- 5 tablespoons Spectrum shortening, chilled
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 2 cups LC-Biscuit & Pie Crust Flour
- In a large bowl, mix together the LC-Biscuit & Pie Crust Flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add water, one tablespoon at a time, and lightly toss with a fork. Add only enough water until dough forms a ball. The dough will be sticky and tough if too much water is added, and it will crack and tear when rolled if too little is added.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes before rolling. Divide dough into two balls, and toll out each between plastic wrap into a circle 1 inch larger than your inverted pie pan.
- For single pie crust, bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- For two crust pie, you may need to use foil around the edge during part of the baking time, depending on your recipe.