Enjoy this low carb, gluten free side dish. It's wonderful for special occasions or a holiday dinner especially.
Browned Butter Squash
Author: Adapted from Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen
Recipe type: Side Dish
- ¼ cup butter
- 3½ cups butternut squash -- diced
- 1½ cups zucchini squash -- diced
- ¼ large onion -- sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon LC-Natural Sweet Brown
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Have all of your ingredients nearby and ready to place in the pan.
- Place butter in large non-stick saute pan.
- Melt butter and continue to heat while swirling until butter just begins to turn brown. It can burn very quickly so you need to watch it closely.
- As soon as the butter is browned, dump in butternut squash, zucchini squash, and onion slices. Stir together.
- Sprinkle in the LC-Natural Sweet Brown, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Stir all together well, coating all with the butter in the pan.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover and stir.
- Cover and let cook about 5 minutes longer. Check for tenderness, cover and cook a couple minutes longer. About every 2 minutes or so stir, until vegetables are the tenderness you prefer. The time it takes will depend on how tender you like them. It took me around 15 min. altogether.
- When they are about done, uncover and let cook about 3 minutes on medium heat, to let them brown on the bottom.
- Pour out into a serving bowl.