• 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 4 cups peeled, grated butternut squash,*
  • OR similar yellow squash
  • 2 eggs, fork beaten
  • 2/3 cup LC-Gluten Free Baking Flour
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Sour cream (optional)

Instructions

1. In nonstick frying pan, in olive oil and over medium heat, cook onion until soft and translucent. Stir in curry powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper.
  2. To prepare butternut squash see helpful hints.
  3. Place grated butternut squash in large bowl.
  4. Stir in cooked onion-and-spice mixture. Stir in eggs well.
  5. Stir in flour until well combined.
  6. Form 10 patties or cakes.
  7. In nonstick frying pan, in 2 Tablespoons olive oil over medium heat, cook until golden brown underneath, flip carefully using spatula and spoon or fork to stabilize.
  8. Flatten squash cakes with back of spatula and continue to cook another 2 minutes or until golden brown on the other side.
  9. Serve immediate with sour cream, if desired.
  10. g net carbs
  11. Helpful Hints: *To peel the butternut squash, cut off the top and bottom ends, then halve lengthwise. Use a large spoon to scrape out the seeds and fibers. Place cut side down and cut off the outer skin with a sharp knife. One of the major hurdles to preparing winter squash, such as butternut, is cutting it in half. You can always use a heavy chef’s knife or a cleaver and exert some pressure. An easier method is to partially bake the whole squash until it is soft enough to yield more easily to a knife. Place the squash in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 10 minutes. Remove the squash and cut as directed and then grate it in a food processor using the grating assembly. (Keep in mind, I’m guessing this would work to help cut the squash more easily. Just hoping the squash inside does not cook soft – doubt it in such a short time). I worked with the raw squash, peeled it and then grated it in my food processor. Cutting the peel off is tricky, so be careful. Cut away from yourself.)

Did you make this recipe?

Share a photo and tag us — we can't wait to see what you've made!

Leave a Reply