Mock Peach Pie
- Category: Dessert
- LC-Pie Crust Mix
- 4 cups zucchini, peeled, seeds removed and cut into small cubes
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Davinci’s Sugar Free Peach Flavor Syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure peach extract
- 1 packet sugarfree peach drink mix (not peach tea)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons LC-Thick ‘n Saucy
- 1 tablespoon LC-Natural Sweet White
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Lemon rind from 1/2 lemon, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Chilled butter
- Prepare single pie crust using pie crust mix (half of the bag).
- Chill for at least an hour, or overnight if possible.
- Put prepared zucchini, water, syrup, extract and peach drink mix into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil until water evaporates, about 30 minutes. The zucchini now looks and tastes like peach!
- In a small bowl, combine the Thick ‘n Saucy and Natural Sweet White. Add to the “peach” mixture.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon rind and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Grease a pie baking dish, then pour “peaches” into it. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lay out sheets of parchment paper or aluminium foil on your counter and lightly dust with flour.
- Remove 1/4 of the pie crust from fridge and press it into a flat disk. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough from the center outward to 1/8 inch thick. Work quickly!
- Slice the dough into long strips and lay them in a criss cross pattern on top of the “peaches”. Repeat with remaining pie crust.
- Put small pieces of butter in the holes created by the lattice crust.
- Mix together some LC-Natural Sweet White, nutmeg and cinnamon and sprinkle on the crust.
- Optional: spray a little spectrum canola to help with glistening (or an egg wash)
- Bake for 35 minutes on rack in middle of oven. Move rack to top for another 5-10 minutes, until lightly browned.